Welcome to Marion County Mississippi

Chamber of Commerce - Economic Development

 

The John Ford Home

 

Reverend John Ford, a Methodist minister, built this classic example of the Mississippi Territory frontier-style home in the southern part of Marion County by at least 1805. He was one of the area's first and most influential settlers during this time when the Mississippi Territory was young. The home was referred to as "John Ford's Fort" during the settlement period of the territory and the War of 1812 and Creek War. The John Ford Home was the site of the Pearl River Convention and Methodist Conventions of the Mississippi Territory in the early 1800's. In November 1812, Gen. Andrew Jackson quartered at the Ford Home while en route to the Battle of New Orleans. During the Civil War the home was raided by Federal soldiers and housed General John Davidson and his staff on the night of Dec 3, 1864 as they made their way across Mississippi. Since 1962, the home has been owned and managed by the Marion County Historical Society. Tours of the home can be scheduled by calling (601) 731-3999.